It may not seem like it, but the holidays are closer than you think! One of the most common mistakes marketers make is waiting until the last minute to get their holiday content strategy together. Q4 is just around the corner, and the sooner you have a plan in place, the more you’ll be able to get out of your holiday content.
If you want to build a good strategy to make the most of the season, there’s no time like now to start. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide for brainstorming and creating holiday content that will help you engage with your customers and sell.
Don’t just publish content a week before a holiday hits and hope for the best. People start planning their holidays early, so you should think about publishing your content a bit early as well.
Pinpoint Your Audience
Who do you want to reach with this content? Don’t be afraid to get specific! During the holidays, your traditional audience may even shift as you consider gift-giving. Are you trying to reach middle class men over 40? 20-year-old male college students? Working moms? Single women in their late 20’s that are trying to pay down their college loans? The more you know about your intended audience, the better equipped you’ll be to engage them.
Find Hot Topics
Make a list of topics that you know are on people’s minds during the holidays. For example: dinner parties, gifts, and vacation planning. Don’t leave out the cynics. For every person who loves the holiday season, there’s another who can’t wait for it to be over. Keeping that in mind may help you reach a very big audience that you wouldn’t otherwise. Don’t be afraid of a big list either. You have to start somewhere!
Read through that list. For each topic, try to find a way that it would connect with your target audience. For example: A working mom may be interested in ways to make the holiday special without spending a lot of time on it. A 20-year-old college student may look for ways to survive time with the family. The single mom may want to save money on gifts.
Now find a way to bring in your brand, product, or service. What topics did you come up with that have a good synergy with what you represent? A credit card for the single mom to buy that gift? A time-saving recipe for a big family dinner? Books and games to distract you if you’re cooped up with the family? A consultation with a stylist to find the perfect outfit? A funny article about the best ways to pretend you like a gift that you actually hate?
Now that you have your concept, start creating. Here are some formats you can try to make your content engaging:
- Try making it a list: “5 Divine Dishes for Diwali”, “6 Holiday Decorating Time-Savers”, “8 Gift Ideas Your Wife Will Love”, “9 Ways to Use Your Credit Card to Save This Holiday Season”, “7 Activities to Keep the Kids Busy for the Holidays”
- Try making it a photo gallery: “The Most Epic Thanksgiving Centerpieces Ever”, “10 Gravity-Defying Desserts”, “DIY Halloween Decorations”
- Try making it funny: “The 10 Biggest Gift Fails of All Time”, “Why a Pint of Ice Cream Should Be Your Holiday Date”
- Try making it an infographic: “Hannukah on the Internet – a Brief History”, “How to Put Together an Ideal Office Party”, “Perfect Gifts By Age”
- Try a quiz: “Is Your Bank Account Ready for the Holidays?” “What’s Your Personal Holiday Decorating Style?” “Can You Afford the Perfect Gift for Her?”
No matter what format you try, if you make it informative and engaging, your audience will stick around to read it – and share it!
Get It Noticed
You know the adage: “If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around to hear it, will it make a sound?” Distribute your content through paid and free media to make sure it finds your audience.
Do you want to get your content discovered this Holiday Season? Don’t wait – contact us to find out how you can get noticed.